About this Show

CNN Newsroom

News/Business. Latest on the day's top news stories with a focus on global news, trends and destinations. New.

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Watertown 17, Us 13, Fbi 7, Don 6, Dzhokhar 4, Susan Candiotti 3, Elizabeth Cohen 3, The City 3, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev 3, Sean Collier 3, Cambridge 3, Collier 3, Geico 2, Beck 2, Islam 2, U.s. 2, Massachusetts 2, Wendy 2, Carjacking 2, Dr. Wendy 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    CNN Newsroom    News/Business. Latest on the day's top news stories  
   with a focus on global news, trends and destinations. New.  

    April 21, 2013
    1:00 - 2:00am PDT  

1:00am
for many of its citizens, finally, may be waking up to what? i'm don lemon in boston. this is a city that has spent the last 24 hours still wounded but there is a measure of satisfaction in the air right now. that's because the two men police believe wounded and killed people in the boston marathon are now off the street. believe in boston at fenway park, it was hard not to be part of the red sox nation today. the heroes of boston this weekend, everybody wearing a police uniform. they're the ones who hunted.
1:01am
motorcade left boston medical center and brought his body out
1:02am
we snaked through alice and back lots to get to within a couple hundred yards of the boat. during negotiations, there was a word of reassurance. and an appeal to someone they knew was in pain. as we shot this exclusive video, police rushed us, saying we were in the crossfire zone. >> clear out, okay? come on, i said please. >> reporter: it was just minutes later that police captured tsarnaev. he had lost blood, was weakened. the entire neighborhood had been on lock down, residents terrified as law enforcement
1:03am
went door to door. after the standoff, we spoke with neighbors. here on cypress street, this is one of the houses where police were combing through the neighborhood, looking for the suspect. this is eddie beck's house, he took us through what it was like when s.w.a.t. teams came through here. >> they came in. they searched the living room area, dining room, went through all the bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen area, and -- >> searched cabinets and things like that? >> didn't go through cabinets or anything like that but they did go through all the bedrooms, closet doors, then made their way through the back here. >> reporter: beck shared his own footage of the s.w.a.t. teams combing through his house. during the homes they didn't know where tsarnaev was or whether he was carrying explosives on his body. beck got a chill just thinking about it. >> knowing that they had him sur rounded and so close to our neighborhood, it made us think that he might have been here at night time and they kind of flushed him out into that area. >> reporter: vivian stevens also lives very close to the house where tsarnaev was cornered. how do you feel now that it's
1:04am
over? >> it's sur real i think i'm numb. i don't really feel -- i guess i can't believe all this has happened. i know it's happening, but actually -- i am very happy that it's over around they got him. >> reporter: a sentiment echoed by thousands of her neighbors in watertown. cheering police as they pulled out after the arrest. and we have one nugget of information for you about the final arrest. it was officers from the massachusetts bay transit authority police who put the handcuffs on dzhokhar tsarnaev at the very end.
1:05am
they were pleased to have a chance to do that because it was one of their officers who was brian todd in watertown for us, excellent report.
1:06am
we continue to pray for healing and for comfort on the long road that lies ahead for every victim and their loved ones. this is dzhokhar tsarnaev inside an ambulance last night. now under heavy guard at a medical center where some of the people he allegedly harmed have also been receiving care. want to go to elizabeth cohen, she's outside the hospital. there are new details about his injuries since i last spoke with you. what do you know? >> these are very important details from deborah feyerick and susan candiotti. he has wounds to his throat.
1:07am
and this is very, very important. he is intubated and sedated. what that means is he has a tube going down his throat that's attached to a ventilator that breathes for him. often doctors will intubate someone and put them on a ventilator to take the strain away if a machine breathes for them. this explains why governor deval patrick says he can't communicate right now. elizabeth, give us an update on the bombing survivors. how many are still in the hospital at this point? >> there are at least 57 bombing survivors still in area hospitals, two in critical condition. >> elizabeth cohen, thank you very much. we appreciate your reporting. we want to go back now to watertown.
1:08am
cnn's susan candiotti, it's still an active crime scene. how long will investigators be there and what are they doing? >> reporter: it's certainly what a lot of people around here would like to know. they're taking of time and there's no rush here. they want to carefully go over every inch of that boat that you saw. and to make sure that they're not missing any other pieces of evidence, possibly hidden explosives elsewhere -- there's no indication of that. but they want to pick up every bit of evidence they can before they close this down and reopen the street. they hope the residents of this area understand. tonight we have those amazing thermal images taken of the boat last night when they were making the arrests. these photographs coming to us from the massachusetts state police. using technology that's been around for years. they use heat images to look down at the boat. you can see in the pictures, it shows you the heat inside that body, where he was lying
1:09am
underneath that tarp. then it goes to a black image where you can even make out his feet as he was inside the boat. but before they approached it, they weren't sure whether there were any bombs inside there. they moved a robotic arm to move closer and closer and remove that tarp before they tried to get him to come out. there was an exchange of gunfire and eventually they got him out of there. and as elizabeth cohen was reporting and as i have learned from a law enforcement official, even if the suspect wanted to cooperate, he can't because of his medical condition. but certainly that's something they're going to want to do to try to find out from him all the information that they can before he is read his rights. they have that special exemption under federal law, investigators say, to talk to him, to find out whether he has any information that could put the public at
1:10am
risk before his rights are read to him, don. >> susan candiotti in watertown as well, thank you, susan. appreciate your reporting. the father of the tsarnaev brothers stands by their innocence. the suspect's uncle says it's now time for dzhokhar to seek forgiveness. he sat down with cnn for an exclusive interview and also spoke about the older brother. >> he used his younger brother. he wasted his life. i understand he did not -- he messed up his own. i don't know what was going on there. but he messed up his life. that's why he decided to take lives of innocent people. i may believe he has been full
1:11am
of evil, maybe he has been himself as evil, he turned to be an evil, even if there's hey! did you know that honey nut cheerios
1:12am
has oats that can help lower cholesterol? and it tastes good? sure does! wow. it's the honey, it makes it taste so... well, would you look at the time... what's the rush? be happy. be healthy.
1:13am
1:14am
1:15am
>> well, first of all, they are looking for a time sequence and looking for moment of explosion to the corralled moment there and preceding time and it is
1:16am
temporal, and this is a proceeding that believe it or not technology and techniques and training that have been developed in the department of defense and elsewhere we have 24-hour surveillance from a drone or other data source capturing modes. all of it is moving lightning speed, but it is the future, and the future is now and we will see more and not less. >> on a personal note, you live in watertown? >> yes, we saw you all week, and you were standing in front of my kids' favorite restaurant. >> town diner. >> dunkin' donut, and so it is a terrible and emotional week for me. >> family and everybody okay? >> family is fine, and i was at m.i.t. two blocks from where that police officer was killed, so it is has been a big week. >> thank you. thank you. >> thank you. >> appreciate your joining us. so unclear in all of this as we have been discussing this, the motive. what is behind this horrible crime? and get this, the fbi was warned about one of the tsarnaev brothers.
1:17am
1:18am
1:19am
1:20am
just who are the two brothers implicated in this horrible week of violence? dzhokhar and his brother came here from the chechen region. the fbi asked to investigate them with ties to the extremist groups, and he died friday in the shootout with police. the brother escaped that shootout and managed to elude police until he was found in a boat last night. he is in stable condition in the hospital. when tamerlan was interviewed overseas by the fbi as a follower of radical islam. here is joe johns. >> well, they found nothing incriminating and the fact that tamerlan was interviewed by the
1:21am
fbi two years before the bombings, was already stirring up controversy before the bombing in watertown. the chairman of the security committee. >> if they let him out of their sights, then that is an issue for me. >> reporter: the mother said that agents had been harassing her son for years. >> they knew what my son was doing, and they knew what actions and what sites on the internet he was doing. they were watching every step of him and telling today, this is a terrorist act. >> reporter: the fbi confirmed in 2011 they interviewed the older brother and family members, but it did not say how many times. it was at the request of russian intelligence ak considereding the a senior u.s. official. the fbi said that the request was based on information that
1:22am
tsarnaev was a follower of radical islam and a strong believer and had changed drastically since 2010. they said they had checked the u.s. government databases and looked for derogatory telephone communications and possible online sites promoting radical activity, but the fbi said they did not find any terrorist activity and gave the results to the russian government, and did not ask for more information, and then they closed the file. >> they don't give you more than everything that can be done has been done unless you need to know more of the story. >> reporter: and the records show that he flew to russia and stayed for six months and then returned to new york in july. it is not clear what he did there, but tsarnaev's father said his son with was him at all times, but when he got back, things were different.
1:23am
chairman mccall said he started to put jihadist material on web sites on youtube. >> what i am concerned about is that he may have been radicalized and trained by the chechen rebels who are the fiercest jihad warriors. >> reporter: but the uncle said that his radicalization started in the boston area. >> it started right there in cambridge. right there on the streets of cambridge. where this guy, this new convert is going to the local mosque on massachusetts avenue, so, i'm saying that it started there. >> reporter: the documents show no record of the younger brother dzhokhar leaving the country, and tamerlan was a legal permanent resident of the united states, and his brother is a naturalized citizen. both men were born in kyrgyzstan. don? >> thank you, joe. just ahead, a boston suburban neighborhood turns into a war zone.
1:24am
we are learning new details about the early morning shootout in watertown and what killed suspect number one.
1:25am
1:26am
>> there is an active incident in watertown right now. >> we must have heard about 60 gunshots. >> we are advising all watertown residents to remain in their homes.
1:27am
>> there were dozens of police officers with their guns drawn. we could hear them yelling things like heavily armed n the yard. >> we believe it to be a terrorist, and we believe this to be a man who has come here to kill people. with we need to get him in custody. >> the governor has immediately suspended all public transportation service. >> the shelter in place recommendation has been extended throughout the city of boston. >> it is a ghost town. not a soul on the streets. >> it is horrifying that this is my home. >> and we are needing more time and we are making significant progress up there, but it may take hours. >> that was early in the evening friday as police and fbiing as tightened the circles around the boston circumstance suburb of watertown because they knew somewhere in there was dzhokhar. >> there was an assassination of
1:28am
an m.i.t. officer. >> you believe by these two brothers? >> yes. >> why would they want to kill this police officer? >> that is under investigation, because he was responding to a loud disturbance call and next thing that happens. >> on the campus of m.i.t. or at the convenient store? >> i believe on campus, and then they fled. they did a carjacking, and somehow, for some reason, they ended up coming to watertown. and he was responding to just a loud disturbance call, and next thing you know, it happens. >> was it on the campus of m.i.t. or at the convenient store? >> i believe it was on campus, and then they fled. they did a carjacking, and somehow for some reason they ended up coming to watertown. that's where our officers engaged the two of them. >> what happened? pick it up the story there. so they are in a hijacked car that had hijacked the car, took
1:29am
the driver, and then they let the driver go after the driver supposedly went to the atm and gave them money? >> yes, money withdrawn from the atm, and what happened in watertown, one of the first police officers ark and we are getting information based on pinging the cell phone that he's in watertown, so we know what streets he is on. >> and so, tsarnaev was using his own cell phone? >> no, the victim's. >> they had bragged to the victim that they were the bombers of the marathon. >> that is what i understand, because they said, we did the boston marathon bombing and we killed the police officer. >> did they explain why? >> no. >> lucky for him, and lucky for us that his cell phone remained in that vehicle so we were able to get updates. and so it is now 12:30 in the morning, down a residential street in watertown, and everybody is sleeping and sleepy
1:30am
neighborhood and our offices see two vehicles, the brothers in two car, and including the one that is hijacked. he notified the department, and we tell them not to do anything, and so then we stop the car, and they unload on the car. >> when you say unload, what does that mean? >> he came out shooting. >> shooting what? >> handguns and a long arm in the car, and but we don't know what that is. we estimated over 200 shots fired in five to ten-minute period. in the exchange, all of the sudden something was thrown at my police officers, and we now find out it is the exact bomb that blew up at the marathon monday. at some point the first brother who died at the scene, he all of the sudden comes out from undercover and just starts walking down the street shooting at the police officers trying to get closer.
1:31am
now my closest police officer is five to ten feet away and they are exchanging gun fire and he runs out of ammunition, the bad guy. one of my police officers tackles him in the street, and we are trying to get him handcuffed and two to three police officers handcuffing him in the street. >> the older brother. >> yes, and at the same time, they obviously have television, and very, very stressful situation. one of them yells out, look out. here comes the black suv, the car jacked car directly at them. they dive out of the way, and he runs over his brother and drags him a distance down the street. >> in effect killing his brother this? >> yes. >> and we will get more of that. and who can forget the beginning of the end for the tsarnaev brothers.
1:32am
that is thursday night's gun fight that wounded tamerlan tsarnaev, and i want to go back and ask you what you saw? you said that was your neighborhood? >> yes, it was 1:00 in the morning and i was asleep and woke up to the house shaking in a loud boom. at first i didn't think it was too much. and you know, i heard a second boom and realized that something was going on so i went to the window. by the time i got to the window, about three police cars came up and parked right in front of my house and got out and immediately started exchanging gun fire with the individuals. i couldn't see them, because think were down the street blocked by a house. >> but you were on the third floor?
1:33am
>> yes, correct. >> but you did see the exchange between the police and the brothers. you said that older brother, tamerlan charged police officers? >> yes, he did. at one point he ran toward the police and tried to go across the road and a police officer went out and grabbed him and took him to the ground. >> so the police had them corner and the older one got out of the car. >> i couldn't see if they were in the car or not, but -- >> they said they were throwing the explosives out of the car. >> i just saw the explosives going off, and i could not see him until he came into my vehicle. >> so he gets out of the vehicle and charges the police officers, and they take him down and they are trying to handcuff him on the ground and then what happened? >> at that point, a black suv came out from behind the house where they were and i couldn't see him, and ran over to his brother. >> do you believe that the younger one was in the suv? >> yes. >> and dzhokhar was in the suv driving and ran over his own brother? >> yes. >> you believe his killed his
1:34am
own brother? >> i believe so, yes. >> what happened with the -- when he drove towards them? >> there were two police officers who had their back to where the car was, because they were trying to subdue the first suspect, and they got out of the way just in the nick of time. he went over them. and then they started shooting rounds into the suv and then took off to follow the suv, but there were a bunch of cops who stayed back to tend to the first suspect. >> we ran over his brother what happened? did you say he dragged him? >> yeah, about 20 feet. >> about 20 feet he dragged his own brother down the street. what were you doing? were you alone at the time? >> my roommate and his girlfriend were in the third floor with me. and my roommate and i were at the window and his girlfriend was in the other room. >> your reaction? >> shock. awe. nervous, anxious, and the whole realm really. >> yeah. >> so.
1:35am
>> unbelievable. and what do they do like once the car got away and you said they were shooting rounds at the car and the police who were there on the scene, did they at the end to other person or too far away? >> they at the ended to the officer that was down, the transit officer first. >> and so they got him -- >> yes, into the ambulance in a matter of minutes and off and ten or more minutes later, they had an ambulance for the suspect. >> thank you, curtis for joining us. >> thank you. >> yes. police, fire, and first responders are lining the streets of boston the night paying a silent tribute to fallen police officer sean collier. officials say for no obvious reason the brothers shot and killed sean collier for no reason.
1:36am
the vigil is set to be in his honor in his hometown of wilmington. poppy harlow is there. it is a sad story. you spoke to some of the people who were close to him, his close friends. >> i did. it was an amazing scene that unfolded behind us this evening. it was the vigil for that gunned down police officer sean collier, and we were there when the motorcade left boston medical center and brought out here to at least 500 people from the community and fellow police officers, and et cetera coming to honor this 26-year-old hero that we are told by so many people all he wanted to do was to be a police officer. he did realize that dream.
1:37am
tonight, we heard from his brother, andrew, and also the stepfather, and his boss, the police chief at m.i.t. and many people talking about their best memory of this man. and after the vigil, we had a chance to speak one-on-one with a man who knows collier very well, an m.i.t. police chief john difava and he discussed how much this young man meant to m.i.t. and the community and gives you a sense of the quality of person he was. listen. >> i believe he had the calling. he just wanted to be in law enforcement. it was not about the pay or the benefits or the retirement, but it was about law enforcement is supposed to be all about and to help people. and he was a master at helping people. i think that m.i.t. lost someone that truly cared about them. i think that we lost someone who we learned more from him, than with he ever learned from us. >> reporter: at 26 years old.
1:38am
that says a lot. >> yes, and you know, i have been a cop for almost 40 years and i was with the state police and with m.i.t. for 11 and you see a lot. you really do, anever saw anything like this. it just, everything about it is just wrong. the killing of him was so senseless. the loss of a person of his quality and his age, and the fact that it happened on a college campus, and everything about this was wrong. nothing fits. just crazy. >> and don, tonight, also, we talked to three m.i.t. students who are also emts and they were close friends of collier and they came with flowers and messages for his family, and interestingly we learned that not only were they close friends of his but they were the three student emts who had to respond to the call after his shooting
1:39am
and go to collier. incredibly, incredibly difficult for them to handle. unimaginable really, don, but a sad night, but a night honoring this young man as well. >> yeah, i can only imagine. poppy harlow thank you very much for that, poppy. and straight ahead, the final moments before the capture last night, and inside information and a moment by moment breakdown of how police captured tsarvaev.
1:40am
1:41am
1:42am
we have information and in fact, they have him cornered right now. >> who is cornered? >> they believe it is the suspect. >> we heard what appeared to be several shots that sounds different than the flash bang. i have heard one of those before, but it distinctively sounded different. it was definitely shots being fired.
1:43am
>> this is cnn breaking news. and if you are just joining us, good evening, everyone. what started out 23 hours ago now seems to be finally over. the last suspect, the search for the suspect according to boston police department is now in custody. >> today, the city of boston, the city of cambridge and the city of watertown and any other communities can breathe a sigh of relief knowing that two perpetrators who caused so much pain and anguish are no longer a threat to our personal safety and to our communities. >> i want you to hear more from the chief of police in watertown. that's a suburb of boston where a massive police dragnet closed in on dzhokhar tsarnaev, and he was taken down. >> when did you realize that it was going down that you had the second suspect? >> we -- well, it was late in
1:44am
the day. we had a report that we got some of the citizens to keep vigilant, and we got the call and sounded like really good information. >> the person who called in said that there is a guy in the boat in my backyard and looks like there is blood there. pick up the story there. >> at that point, we had a couple of thousand police officers on scene and the turnout was incredible the support we got from the state, and from the region, so that we had the tactical people to be able to close that scene down and security it. we did take our time to make sure that everybody was safe in the neighborhood. eventually, we had to use some flash bangs to render the subject a little dazed. >> tell us what a flash bang is? >> it is something to render someone for a short time. so we were able to get him to stand up, and show us that he did not have a device on him. >> he is lying in the boat, and lying there for several hours
1:45am
and wounded and bleeding and obviously weak. you come over there and what do you say to him? you have a bull horn to say, come out with your hands up? >> we have a negotiator on the second floor of the house looking down at the boat. >> you could see him? >> no, we could not see him, because there was a plastic tarp over him, but we had the state police helicopter to tell us when there was movement in the boat by the heat sensor, so we could tell that he was alive and moving and we began the negotiations that way. and over a long period of time we were able to get him to surrender without any other, anybody hurt or injured. >> so he did not use any more gun fire while he was in the boat? >> well, once we got the -- there was early gun fire when we got into the area, because he exchanged gun fire with some of the officers and we secured the scene, and then no more gun fire. >> what kind of weapon did he have? >> we are not sure, because the crime scene is live down there,
1:46am
and the crime scene search is for the fbi, and we don't know what is in the boat. there could be devices. >> and the fbi is in charge of that. >> the scene, yes. >> did he have explosive vest on his body like the older brother had on the night before? >> well, that is why we didn't go near him until we told him that we wanted to lift up the shirt to see the chest until we felt comfortable to send people in to show us that he didn't have anything. and -- >> did he do that? >> after 20 or 30 minutes. >> so he had no explosives in the boat? >> well, not on the person. it is a decent sized boat so we don't know what else was in there. he needed first aid so he was transported which by ambulance into a boston hospital. >> two brothers accused of committing such terrible crimes. why? we will get some insight on the so-called sibling effect next. and do you know your... blood type? a or b positive??
1:47am
have you eaten today? i had some lebanese food for lunch. i love the lebanese. i... i'm not sure. enough of the formalities... lets get started shall we? jimmy how happy are folks who save hundreds of dollars switching to geico? happier than dracula volunteering at a blood drive. we have cookies... get happy. get geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more.
1:48am
1:49am
i want to get back to the boston marathon bombings and when something like that happens, we are always left with the question why. why would two men who came to america with their family in search of a better life turn on their adoptive home. their uncle felt he knew why. >> i can only say what i think is behind it. being losers and not being able to settle themselves. thereby just hating everybody
1:50am
with it. >> losers. is it as simple as that, as being a loser or something more in their heads that led them to such a tragic end. psychologist wendy walsh joins me. wendy, what do you think drove these young men to commit such an atrocity, and will we ever know? >> we may never know, but there are certainly lots of possibilities, don. i mean, these are two young men who may have power dynamic of younger brother and older brother and may have felt culturally isolated despite they had been in the country ten years and the older brother had been known the say he had no american friends. and the search for identity that teenagers and young adults seek out to turn to the extreme parts of the muslim religion and i must stop here to add that one of the biggest tragedies here is that good muslim americans again are in the news, and there is
1:51am
misinformation about this religion, because what these guys were practicing is not what 99.99% of muslims would ever practice. so, there is a search for identity and when you carry the cultural duality, am i american? russian? muslim? not? there is sometimes the pendulum may swing too far to an extreme place. >> yeah. they're practicing not religion, but extremism really, and everyone understands what you are saying. >> under the guise of religion. >> yes. right. so, i wanted to talk to you about something that you said this older brother/younger brother effect, and sibling effect of brothers committing crimes together, and can you talk about that? >> plenty of research to support that a lot of the at-risk behaviors go viral between the siblings, and especially if the older one begins it first. research says early smoking, onset sexual behavior or
1:52am
alcoholism or et cetera, but data on criminal behavior is all over the map. the fact that they lived together and very close together, and that could happen as between two close friends as well if you look at the columbine shootings as well, one would be a leader and weaker if you will, and the older one was more of the leader, but you can't say that just because their siblings, crime dictates it, because some supports it and some does not. >> and the younger brother and what they did is horrific, but i have heard some people especially the parents and especially moms, wendy, say, in some way, in some way, i don't understand why the 19-year-old in some ways, i feel sorry for him. this is what i am hearing.
1:53am
he is 19 years old and still a kid and teenager and they feel that he was influenced by the older boy, and does that make sense? >> absolutely. in fact, if you follow twitter, you will notice that a lot of the catholics and the christians are praying for him as well as praying for the victims of the bombing, because there is a sense that, you know, maybe he was brainwashed and maybe he was under his brother's control, so we will find out more information as the weeks go on. >> dr. wendy, thank you. we appreciate it. >> thank you, don. >> after a week of pain and heartbreak, celebrations in the streets of boston. the collective sighs of relief continued today and the scene at fenway park when we return. ♪ i don't wanna be right [ record scratch ] what?! it's not bad for you.
1:54am
it just tastes that way. [ female announcer ] honey nut cheerios cereal -- heart-healthy, whole grain oats. you can't go wrong loving it. heart-healthy, whole grain oats. ]dc(ñqgñ
1:55am
1:56am
1:57am
i am don lemon. thanks for joining me. we will leave you with the sights and sounds of fenway park this afternoon as the red sox got their chance to help the city get back to a normal routine, to blow off some steam, and to say thank you. ♪ >> to seek, find and bring those responsible to justice, the boston marathon volunteers.
1:58am
♪ oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave ♪ ♪ o'er the land of the free ♪ and the home of the brave? nobody going to dictate our freedom.
1:59am